My Yeo-jeong

This is a blog to record my yeo-jeong (journey) towards becoming an intern abroad and studying abroad.

Name:
Location: Tampa, Florida, United States

I'm a junior student at University of South Florida majoring in International Studies and getting a certificate in Asian Studies.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Earlier today: 2/12/06

I've decided to see my advisor around mid-term. I need to find out what my old classes transfer and count as for my major. I decided I would also bring up my interest and intent of interning abroad next summer with the Dept. of State. Hopefully he can help me with it.

I'm happy, because I've found my dream scholarship! It's the NSEP, National Security Education Program. For a semester abroad it pays $10,000! Well, up to, I guess. But that's a lot of money! They prefer people who are studying abroad for a year. It said you could combine an internship and studying abroad a semester to make a full year, which made me get excited - except it then went on to say that it had to be an unpaid internship with a non-governmental organization. :( I don't understand that because one of the stipends for receiving the scholarship is: "The NSEP service requirement stipulates that an award recipient work in the Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, State, or the Intelligence Community." (This is another reason why I thought this scholarship was perfect, because I want to be a Foreign Service Officer.) Since this is a requiement, I don't see why you can't use a government internship to count. Makes me sad.

Another reason why it makes me sad is because they also have a rule stating that you can't have been in the country you're studying abroad in for more than four weeks (within the last five years) before going to study abroad (if that makes sense.) (note: I was just looking at their website and I could not find this. Maybe I got thise mixed up with a different scholarship I was looking up... Yep, I was right, it's the Freeman-Asia scholarship.) That's great, because I want to do both in Japan, though it would be okay, if it was true, only because then I would just study abroad in South Korea. I'm starting to get more interested in Korea. I guess once I decided that Korean didn't sound whiny and that I actually like it, it opened up my interest in Korea.

Studying in Korea would be good also, because then I would have a better chance at getting the scholarship. Hmm... Makes me think about looking into studying in Korea for a fulle year. I tink my parents would freak, though, me being gone for around 12 months (internship and study abroad.) Yeah, a lot of wishful thinking on my part. I don't even know if I would like Seoul. Well, we'll just have to see. I wish I knew what credits I still need for all of my requirements.

Back to the internship. I can apply for two different departments. I've decided to apply for the European one and the East Asian/Pacific one. With the A/P one, I'm going to request Japan or South Korea and with the European one, I'm going to request London or Amsterdam. There is a scholarship available for the London one. Amsterdam was chosen because it's in the Netherlands. and there will be free housing. Well, one can hope. ^_^

1 Comments:

Blogger RaeS said...

Maria, you should update your blog with your newest news about going to South Korea!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home